Reasons Why Webcams Could Be Dangerous
The use of webcams in modern society, whether used at home or work, has had positive and negative effects on those who have webcams attached to or built into their computers. Children and families may use webcams to communicate with relatives and friends who live or work far away, but law enforcement is more concerned about the dangers of webcams and the harmful effects for children and teenagers who spend time on the internet.
If you are like most parents, you would never allow a male to be in your teenage daughter’s bedroom without supervision, but it’s happening on a daily basis while young children and teens are on the internet and using webcams, right under the noses of unsuspecting parents. What’s even worse is that many teens have computers connected to the internet in their bedrooms, and many parents still don’t understand how harmful and dangerous this is. Who is watching your child on webcam?
There are ways your webcam can be used without your consent. So, before deciding to use webcams in your business and daily life, take time to find out its drawback and how dangerous it could be. Find outhow webcams could be dangerous, let’s have a look.
1. Webcam Hijacking
Just as any hacker can get access to your laptop or desktop, in the same way hackers can take control over your webcam, can switch it on or off any time, taking photos and watching everything that you do. With illegal web camera programs, hijacking has become common among regular Internet users.
2. Webcams can allow strangers to view private videos
Nowadays, new laptops and net books come with built-in webcams which are very tiny that you might not realize if these are recording.
3. Webcams can be used to spy on you without your consent
You will not be able to see when other people are using your webcam to keep an eye on you and your activities. Webcams have become a great spying tool.
In Internet world, if you want to be anonymous then make sure you put your webcam at the right position. However, the best location of webcam is above the monitor of your laptop or desktop that doesn’t disclose any private information about your family, where you live or about your family.
5. Webcams can be used to blackmail you
Webcams pose a very serious risk and can be used to blackmail you. Webcams allows you to open windows into the activities and live chat-rooms of children and teens. You might not know but sexual predators use this technology to target you to have perverted advantage and sexually abuse you.
This is little dangerous to know but there are various malicious programs including Trojan and viruses that can remotely activate your webcam on your system without you realizing it. That’s why it becomes very important to scan your system for viruses on regular basis.
7. Cover webcams when you are not using it
You never know if your webcam is recording while you are sleeping or having private time with your partner. With the right tools, almost anyone from foreign government to creepy teenager, anyone could record whatever happening with you while you sit at your computer just by sitting at his/her place.
You can solve this problem by using shutter that is a little chic cover up for your webcam so that even if someone try to spy you, he/she would get nothing about it. You can just use a simple tape enough to cover the webcam.
8. Keeping PC with webcams in bedrooms
There is something that no wants to show to the entire world. So, limit your webcam use to high-traffic areas and make sure you are not doing anything in front of your webcam that you don’t want the world to see.
9. Clicking on suspicious attachments
Whenever you click on any attachment or download file infected with malware, it gives hackers the ability to control your system’s functions. So, don’t click on any link without knowing its source. Make sure whatever you are downloading is done from good source and not from suspected one.
How to increase your webcam safety:
1. The most important thing you can do is install a full-service Internet security suite on your device, and keep it updated regularly. With the right software and current malware definitions, this can do a lot of heavy lifting against all forms of malware, not just viruses.
2. Keep your software up to date, as this helps patch vulnerabilities in your software that allow hackers access to your device.
3. Your computer probably comes with a firewall, which will prevent unauthorized access to your computer. However, most firewalls need to be turned on. If you’ve never actively turned on your firewall, do that right now.
4. Never click on suspicious links in emails or download files from people you don’t know. This is one of the most common ways that hackers gain access to your machine. Only download attachments and click on links in emails from people that you trust. Even then, if something looks suspicious call or text them.
5. Don’t chat with strangers online. Often times, this is a way to get information out of you that can be used to access your accounts, or to get your trust so that you download a Trojan horse.
6. Keep an eye on the indicator light on your laptop. If it starts coming on for no reason, that’s a good sign that your system has been compromised . Look for the camera’s operation light coming on when you’re not using it; this is by no means a failsafe — recent research suggests hackers using special web camera programs may be able to switch off the light.
7. Lock down your wireless network. Use a strong, unique password.
8. In the current year, it’s important to use a virtual private network for maximum security.
9. Unplug the camera or cover the lens when not in use; many newer model webcams come with a privacy shield that slides across the lens.
10. Don’t do anything in front of a camera that you wouldn’t mind the whole world seeing. Hackers may even be able to access your camera while you’re using it with someone else and record your actions.
These steps are simple, common sense measures you can use to protect the privacy of your family
Are Hackers Using Your Webcam to Watch You?
Search Coupons for All Online Sites
Copyright © DownloadMaza 2018 All Rights Reserved.